What’s better than enjoying a festive Holiday meal with the family? An incredibly delicious meal that features a full 2 pounds of fresh Best Maine Lobster meat and that won’t take hours to prepare. One of our founders wanted to share a family favorite of his...Lobster Fra Diavolo! Sweet lobster. Crushed Italian peppers. Garlic, basil, a little wine and just the right amount of crushed red pepper. Thanks, Ben!
Chef Ricciardi’s Lobster Fra Diavolo
When you’re around Ben Ricciardi, the action always heats up. So does this incredible pasta dish from the man himself! Spicy or spicier, you decide. This recipe’s been in his family for decades, although Ben has added a few of his signature twists to it. Ironic that “Fra Diablo” translates to Brother Devil. You’ll have to ask his siblings about that.
Level of difficulty: Not overwhelming
- 2 pounds Best Maine Lobster meat
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 2 tbsp of finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp sugar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups high quality canned crushed or chopped Italian tomatoes (strained)
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped (optional, except Ben’s Grandma always added)
- 1 pound imported dry linguine
- ¼ cup fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- Freshly shaved Locatelli or Parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Once hot, add the onions. As they soften, add the garlic and freshly chopped red bell pepper.
- Continue cooking mixture for a minute and a half.
- (Bring a large pot of salted water for pasta to a boil at this point.)
- Add the wine and the tomatoes to the mixture. Stir.
- Fold in the anchovies, capers, pepper, fresh basil oregano and a dash of red pepper flakes.
- Cook for 8 minutes over low heat.
- Add Best Maine Lobster meat.
- Cook the pasta until it is al dente.
- Drain well. Set the pasta in a large bowl.
- Add the Fra Diablo sauce to the pasta and toss carefully.
- Garnish with fresh parsley cheese before or after serving family style.